Following the release of the government roadmap out of national lockdown, The Bear’s Paw will begin its phased reopening, starting with the availability of outdoor drinking and dining and the reopening of accommodation at the inn for essential purposes only.
Monday 12th April
From this date, casual outdoor drinking and dining will be available at the inn. Guests will be welcome to join us to drink or dine outside 11am-8pm daily. Food will be served from a reduced, casual menu from 12pm either to take away or dine onsite. No requirement for a substantial meal accompanying alcohol or curfew limitations will be in place.
Tables for outdoor drinking and dining are limited, and available on a first come, first served basis.
At this time, we will be permitted to accommodate groups of up to 6 guests or two households per booking. Whilst outdoor dining only is on offer, guests will be required to book via phone or email and our online booking system will be temporarily suspended. Advanced booking is strongly recommended to avoid disappointment.
Also on this date, The Bear’s Paw will reopen to provide accommodation for essential travel purposes only. You can see the permitted definitions of essential travel requiring accommodation here
Monday 17th May
In line with stage 3 of easing restrictions, The Bear’s Paw will reopen for indoor drinking and dining with table service. A wider menu selection will be available from this date. Groups will continue to be limited to up to 6 guests or two households, unless amendments to restrictions allow otherwise.
Accommodation at The Bear’s Paw will reopen for leisure stays from this date.
During the phased reopening, our inn will continue its commitment to maintaining COVID security whilst prioritising the guest experience.
Monday 21st June
By this date, it is anticipated that all current restrictions on social contact will be lifted, provided that all government tests continue to be met. Limitations on household mixing and use of communal areas will be removed.
Please note that all dates and guidance set out above are subject to government restrictions.
Will your property remain open for essential travel or takeaway services?
From Monday 12th April, The Bear’s Paw will reopen its primary accommodation for essential travel or work only. Definitions of essential requirements can be found here.
We will not be providing a regular takeaway service prior to our phased reopening, though we are offering a takeaway Mother’s Day afternoon tea for one weekend only. Pre-order our specialty offering by Thursday 11th March and collect from any Nelson Hotels property on either Saturday 13th or Sunday 14th March.
I have an accommodation reservation during the period of closure. What do I do?
All pre-paid accommodation reservations are fully transferrable to a future date up to 12 months ahead of the originally-booked date. Our reservations team will be in touch to assist with rescheduling your visit. We ask guests to be patient as we work hard to contact all affected bookings.
I have a restaurant reservation during the period of closure. What do I do?
All table bookings in our restaurant during the closure period will be automatically cancelled unless there is a deposit assigned to the booking. In this instance, our team will be in touch to assist.
My gift voucher will expire the period of closure. Can it be extended?
Please be assured that all gift vouchers impacted by our forced closure will be extended to expire on 31st August 2021. You do not need to contact us, as this extension is being applied automatically to all gift vouchers. Should it be necessary to apply further extensions, we will review this information.
I have contacted your reservations team with a query, when will I hear back?
Our reservations team are dealing with a high volume of queries at this time. The team is working extremely hard to respond to all queries and concerns in a timely manner. We appreciate the patience and understanding of our guests during this challenging time.
When we reopen
Nelson Hotels continues to monitor government guidelines closely in order to reopen safely. Our team is working diligently to ensure that our inn meets with our own stringent standards of health, safety and hygiene as well as government and health organisation advice. See below full details of the additional measures in place to create a COVID-Secure environment.
- All staff have received COVID-19 specific training and have signed a daily health declaration. They will undertake a daily temperature check prior to commencing work.
- We have instigated an enhanced frequency of cleaning and sanitisation regimes throughout the property, with particular focus on hand contact points. There are hand sanitising points throughout the premises and we request that all guests sanitise hands upon entry.
- On a continuous basis, we carry out a thorough sanitation of the elements, devices, surfaces and furniture that may be in contact with our guests. Our Housekeeping team have introduced an incredibly effective extra measure of sanitation to address the cleaning concerns of today. Using a powerful misting system, our team now carry out a weekly clean of all common areas and surfaces with XtraProtect, a British lab-tested sanitiser which forms a powerful protective layer on surfaces lasting up to 8 days, killing 99.9% of bacteria and viral transmissions, including COVID-19, in thirty seconds.
- We will respectfully ask you to maintain a policy of social distancing wherever possible when on the premises, and our team are also encouraged to maintain a safe distance where possible. Please take note of instructions in all areas, where clear signage indicating restrictions will be in place.
- During this uncertain period, we have relaxed our booking terms and conditions to give our guests peace of mind in their stay with us. Pre-paid room booking deposits and balances can be moved to an alternative date free of charge to provide maximum flexibility (a minimum of seven days’ notice is required).
- If you are displaying any symptoms related to COVID-19, please refrain from visiting and self-isolate as recommended by government advice.
Stay safely with us
Our team has always prioritised the highest standards of hygiene, safety and sanitation in maintaining our accommodation. We have added some extra measures to our stringent standards to keep you safe:
- Upon check-in, guests will be asked to keep a safe distance from the reception area. Markers on our floor will indicate the requested distance and a Perspex screen has been fitted to the host stand to protect both staff and guests.
- At present, all guests are subject to a temperature check upon check-in to ensure any risk is identified immediately. Guests reading over 38.8 degrees, indicating a fever, will not be permitted to stay at the hotel and provided with the guidance to make alternative arrangements. If a guest shows symptoms of COVID-19 , they will be asked to move to a safe and isolated area away from others.
- We disinfect all room key cards to deliver them safely and offer the disinfection of any luggage to all customers who require it.
- We have also made PPE (personal protective equipment) available to our guests, including disinfectant gel, masks and disposable gloves (subject to a possible additional surcharge, subject to review).
- All bed linen and towels are washed based on the guidelines provided by the government and all cross contamination is avoided. During the cleaning of your room, we remove the dirty linen without coming into contact with the clean linen.
- We have removed some decorative elements where deemed necessary, including cushions and throws as a sanitation measure, as well as any non-essential printed literature and magazines. All information is available from reception if required and we will provide a QR code so you can view our guest compendium electronically.
- Single-use toiletries will be provided in bedrooms.
- All surfaces, furniture and elements are disinfected between room uses with the highly disinfectant XtraProtect formula and subsequently, the ventilation time of each room has been increased during the cleaning process. Disposable single-use items and microfiber rags are used in each room for daily cleaning of the room. The cleaning protocol is reinforced with special attention to elements with a high level of contact: telephone, handles, taps, etc.
- We offer our clients the possibility to refuse the cleaning service during their stay if requested (with a maximum of 4 nights).
- Residents will be able to enjoy a table-service breakfast in the restaurant, with both continental and cooked items available to order with a server only.
To ensure the proper implementation of these measures, we have established specific monitoring and verification controls within our Housekeeping team, who will continuously assess these extra measures to allow for changes to be made following government advice.
Dining at The Bear’s Paw
We are delighted to be reopening our restaurant in accordance with the advice of the government and leading health organisations, and we have made some adjustments to our service to ensure a safe environment for everyone:
- Upon making a reservation, guests will be asked for contact details from a member of each party in accordance with government guidelines to collect information to track and trace if necessary.
- We have carefully considered the spacing differences between tables and chairs and request that they are not moved.
- Please note that booking is strongly encouraged and, during busy periods, those without bookings may be asked to wait for a table outside the inn. We will endeavour to accommodate as many guests as possible while observing our new measures to keep you safe.
- Upon arrival for your reservation, you will be greeted by a host and taken to your table. Please do not enter the premises until the time of your booking as early arrival may compromise our ability to maintain safe distance between waiting guests whilst we ensure each table is thoroughly disinfected between sittings.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to welcome you at the bar for drinks and we politely ask that you do not gather at the bar area.
- Disposable menus will be used once and recycled. We will also offer our guests the option to view menus electronically via a QR code which can be scanned on the user’s smart phone.
- Tables are no longer pre-set with cutlery and condiments and single use items including disposable menus and condiment servings are used to limit repeated surface contact.
- Our inn is now cashless and we would kindly ask you to use contactless payments wherever possible, and we provide the option to add a gratuity to your payment on card.
- Dishes, cutlery and glassware will be thoroughly and continuously disinfected, and we will continue to regularly sanitise all surfaces and furniture that may be in contact with our guests.
- Our toilets will be regularly cleaned and limitations on guests using the facilities at any given time will be in place to help maintain social distance.
We have now obtained significant third party accreditation, which validates our stringent measures of health, safety and hygiene.
We have received certification of Covid Security from Visit Britain and Covid-Confident accreditation from The AA; meaning we are recognised as COVID-compliant by the leading tourism and hospitality bodies.
We hope and trust that you will find these measures reassuring. A copy of our company risk assessment can be downloaded here. We will be happy to address any concerns that you may have and look forward to seeing you soon.